AGiraldiwrite

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

even more discussion questions for my sex class

Pg. 67 “In hunting societies, for example, female gender variance was signified by a girl rejecting the domestic activities associated with women and participating in playing and hunting with boys.”

This definition seems to me to describe the tomboys that I grew up with. It is interesting to think that in a different society, the athletic and boyish girls would be considered to be a part of a third gender. Would these girls necessarily have to become third gendered individuals? Or could they simply continue to be normal women, with personalities that coincided with those of tomboyish women?


Pg. 67 “Where male gender variants did not fight, they sometimes had other important roles in warfare, like treating the wounded, carrying supplies for the war party, or directing post-battle ceremonies”

I was wondering if these jobs that here are mentioned to be done by the male gender variants, were there any war type jobs available for women? I thought that usually it was the women in the village that treated the wounded or carried supplies, but if the job was taken by the gender variants then the women would be left out.


Pg. 68 “homogender, rather than homosexual, practices bore the brunt of negative cultural sanctions.”

I find it interesting that in our culture we shun both homosexual and homogendered relationships; although I was wondering if there is a difference in our culture. What I mean is that in the Americanized version of gender, there is really no difference between gender and biological sex. I wonder if the class thinks that there could be a difference in the American psyche between gender and sex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home